Prostate Cancer Facts and Figures
- One in six American men will develop prostate cancer in the course of his lifetime.
- In 2014, 16,822 Californians will be newly diagnosed with prostate cancer and 3,191 will die of the disease.
- At any time, 290,800 Californians are living with prostate cancer.
- One new case occurs every 2.5 minutes and a man dies from prostate cancer every 17 minutes.
- 3 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer for every 4 women diagnosed with breast cancer.
- A little-known fact is that a man is 33% more likely to develop prostate cancer than an American woman is to get breast cancer.
- If caught and treated early, the survival rate for prostate cancer approaches 100%.
- Prostate cancer costs the state of California 360 million dollars a year.